Your scrolling text goes here

HTML lessons

Labels

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Your Media Diet

Sunday:
-woke up, briefly skimmed for any important emails on my blackberry before continuing with morning activities
-checked email, read the news, and completed homework and lab assignments on laptop, got distracted by surfing the web, watching youtube videos, reading blogs, going on facebook, and checking email (4 hrs)

Monday:
-woke up, scrolled through my blackberry email messages for anything that is of importance
-used Adobe Illustrator on computer to design compositions for Studio Arts class (2 hrs)
-came home from school and used laptop to complete assignments, check email, check facebook, read the news, check banking statements, read blogs, use Angel, and chat with friends (7 hrs)

Tuesday:
-woke up, scrolled through blackberry to quickly skim email messages
-attended programming lab (3 hrs)
-came home, used laptop to play music, read blogs, check email, read the news, go on facebook, and chat with friends, used Adobe Illustrator to fix details for project for Studio Arts class (5 hrs)

Wednesday:
-woke up, quickly checked email on blackberry
-came home from class and immediately turned on laptop to check and reply to emails, read the news, go on facebook, chat with friends, and check for assignments on Angel (6 hrs)

Thursday:
-woke up, scrolled through messages on blackberry
-attended programming lab (3hrs)
-came home, used laptop to check email, chat with friends, go on facebook, read the news, read blogs, check for assignments on Angel, access PowerPoint slides to study for midterm, and make a midterm study guide

                I noticed that every time that I am at home, I would turn on my laptop.  Although I may not be directly using it and would just leave it running in the background, I still keep my laptop on until I go to bed each night.  I have to admit that it is distracting to constantly have my laptop turned on while completing my assignments because I find that I enjoy the quick access of communication through the use of online messaging and facebook.  I also find the internet to be a valuable resource when I need to find information.  I wouldn’t say that I am addicted to the internet because I have gone trips where I didn’t need to be constantly checking my facebook or email, but since it is so convenient to have my laptop turned on, I might as well be connected. 
                I think my use of the internet (5-7+ hours per day) is normal for people who are around my age.  The internet makes it so easy to stay connected and updated with each other.  This doesn’t mean that we refuse to go outdoors.  I feel that whenever we are home, after going to class or hanging out with our friends, going online is just another activity to do, just like playing baseball.  It is a form of leisure that we can find relaxation in.  The internet provides a convenient platform for us to be constantly connected to our friends and to be updated with the social world. 
                As for the American society overall, I think it reflects how our society enjoys the convenience of being connected to one another and how everything is accessible at the tip of our fingertips.  It could even be considered a past time entertainment.  The users may choose to view television shows on their computer instead of watching it on the television since they would be able to watch the episode at a time that is most convenient for them.  Even I choose to read the news on the internet instead of through the newspaper itself.  If I feel that an article may be biased, then I could instantly search up the same topic through a search engine and see if other articles differ in opinion.  I definitely think our society chooses to engage in the internet because it is quite easy to use and offers unlimited entertainment and information.  Furthermore, since our society is overflowing with media, it is hard to completely stay away and not be engaged with the media. 
                A change I think I should change is to turn off my laptop when I am not actively using it so that I will not become distracted by the internet and focus on the work that I need to complete.  This will help me work more efficiently and save costs on the electricity and increase the lifespan of my battery.  I should also spend less time on the laptop because it is just worsening my eyesight.  I already have extremely bad eyesight so spending hours on the computer at a time is unhealthy.  Another way to address this problem is to take a walking break for every half an hour I use the computer.  The only problem would be that I would most likely forget to keep track of the time that has passed. 
                I feel that my social location definitely influences my media intake.  As a student double majoring in computer engineering and web design engineering, I am required to spend a certain amount of time in lab to complete assignments using the computer on a weekly basis.  Assignments and projects that are assigned often require the use of the computer.  This is not surprising because my majors originate from the invention of the computer.  Aside from my major, I also think that as a student, the internet provides a cheap and convenient way to stay connected with friends and to be entertained.  Staying engaged with the media through our cellphones allows us to keep up with our social life because it plays a huge role in it.  Since many of us may not have the necessary finances to participate in activities that require large amounts of money, the internet is the way to go.  

No comments:

Post a Comment